--> Pages

(18 Year Old) Birthday – Benefits and Blues

Posted by on Aug 15, 2013 | 0 comments

Are you the parent of an 18-year-old? Do you have a child in college? Congratulations! You are one step closer to launching your child into the world and towards a goal of independent living! A child over 18-years-old is considered adults under the law, and this transition to adulthood brings exciting new privileges. Your adult child can now (in theory!) handle adult responsibilities such as voting, serving on a jury, buying and selling stocks, and entering into legally binding contracts. But what you might not know is that, with this single birthday, you lose many of the rights to your child’s information that you have grown so accustomed to over their lifetime. You will no longer have access to your child’s records-academic, financial, or medical. Thus, you may be footing the bill for college, but you will not be given access to any of your student’s college records, including his financial records. You will not be given access to any bank account records, credit card bills or financial accounts. Medical providers are no longer permitted to discuss any health care concerns with you-your adult child’s records are protected under HIPAA (Federal Health Information Portability and Accountability Act). Like all adults, your child needs to protect himself–but he probably still wants his parents’ assistance every now and again. He may need your help with important matters at college. He may need you to have access to his financial accounts. He may need you to advocate on his behalf in a medical emergency. These goals can be accomplished by executing documents such as a Power of Attorney for financial and legal matters and an Advanced Medical Directive, ensuring that medical decisions are made in accordance with his preferences. The Geller Law Group can guide you through the process of preparing the necessary documents to ease your child into adulthood and to protect his wishes in the event of an emergency. These critical documents can provide you with peace of mind as your child ventures outside of the nest. If you are interested in creating a Power of Attorney Document and Medical Directive for your children, contact us for a initial phone consultation, where we can discuss your needs, goals, and questions. Schedule your consultation by sending a quick email to...

Read More
Contact Us :



Verification Image

Enter number from above: